Let’s talk myth, specifically, Christian myth. In the Bible, the Tower of Babel was built, because human beings were attempting to reach up and out, through blood, sweat, and tears, to touch the Divine. In this, they felt they would become like God. They failed, not because they were arrogant, but because they were ignorant — they were already Divine, and needed no artificial crutch. To prevent this mishap from occuring again, God caused all of humanity to speak different languages, thereby dividing the people and causing, war, strife, and conflict unto the end of time.
Crappy deal, don’t you think? We do too.
The Eudaimonia Society, or simply, “the Society” is meant to do exactly the opposite. Eudaimonia is a Greek word, popularized by Aristotle — it literally means “a flourishing”, and describes a state of sublime happiness brought on by an individual who is completely self-actualized, through reason and virtue. The Society, is meant to reunite humanity as it strives for individual excellence. Its members share a unified commitment to the individual, an appreciation for real achievement, and a common reverence for knowledge. It is Classic Liberalism reborn — reason as the central human trait, personal responsibility for one’s life circumstances, and informed Democracy, as the highest expressions of good.
In short, it seeks to reveal the true meaning behind the story of Babel. Did God punish us for trying to be like it? Of course not — later in the New Testament we are commanded to strive to be exactly like God. Rather, God divided us to shed light on the real problem — we are already Divine, and the path to see that is through each other. It is in our reflection that our true nature is revealed, and we are reflected in our fellow human beings. In the obstacle that divided us, the desire was that we would reach out not to heaven, but to each other, and there find what we were trying to reach in the first place.
–PLEASE NOTE THE SOCIETY IS NOT CURRENTLY TAKING APPLICATIONS
So, this will be a virtual society. In order to keep out the riff-raff, there will be an application process. In the first segment you will produce a video in which you explain, in as much detail as you would like, what personal excellence means to you. Creativity and honesty are good qualities to have in this video. You will show us you’re not fake by posting this on YouTube, and sending us a link. If we like your video, we’ll send you a questionairre, asking you some things, mostly about your personal achievements. If that’s good to go, you’ll be inducted. Currently, the applications will be evaluated by Crimson Curtain Staff, until more members are inducted and a proper Induction Board can be established.
Members will receive the following:
1) Access to private boards on the forums. Staff of the Crimson Curtain will be more active in these boards, and the other members far more helpful, because they’ve been filtered so the cream rises to the top.
2) Access to local/regional/global meetups and local chapters around the world.
3) The ability to build strong connections with individuals of quality, a superhighway to more successful living.
The following are required:
1) Share the values of the society.
2) You do NOT have to be a Darkworker, but you must not have a moral conviction against Darkworkers.
3) Membership dues are small, probably ballparked at about $2 a month, going to this site as an administrative fee. It would be cheaper, but paypal has a minimum fee.
4) Once a quarter, you must publish a post in the forum which adds to the collective knowledge of the Society — this can, for example, be a how-to, results of some kind of experiment, or an explanation which boils something in your areas of expertise down to everybody terms.
5) You must be willing to keep the identities of other members, and the activities of the Society confidential from the public-at-large.
If you’re interested, let us know on the Forums. When we get enough interest, we’ll embark on reconstructing that tower and reseizing our birthright.
An improved you is a better world.